After looking into this further I've changed my mind.  I've tried this using
other web servers (iPlanet, IIS 4.0 and 5.0) and in all cases the value in
PATH_INFO has been fully normalized including removing adjacent /
characters.  IIS gets the contents of PATH_INFO wrong, but it is fully
normalized.  The CGI 1.1 specification is silent on this topic (like it is
on most other important details).

I think we should leave Tomcat as it currently is in 3.2.3.  If you need to
pass data to a servlet in the URL and that data *must not* be susceptible to
URL normalization then the data *must* be in the query string.

Marc Saegesser