From: "Lars Oppermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 3:00 AM
Subject: URI handling in tomcat 3.2.3

http://server/app/UCB/vnd.sun.star.hier:%2F/address/myresource
> would be rejected, before app has teh possibilty to look at the request
> and ...hier://address/myfile... would be normalized to hier:/address.
>
> We are perfectly aware of the security concerns behind these changes.
> However, they only apply when serving resources from the filesystem. A
> URL's path-components however are in no way bound to the representaion
> of filesystem paths.(After all, the U in URL stands for universal :)
>
> RFC 2396 states that '/' in an URI has another semantic meaning then %2F
> in an URI. The '/' seperates path-components, while the %2F means a
> slash character in a path-component. When such an URI is mapped to a
> filesystem this would denote a filename that contains a slash. When the
> system does not allow for such names, it is the responsebilty of the
> filesystem servlet to report an error (404 since such a file must not
> exist on unix for example).
>
> What are your opinions on this?
>
> Cheers
> -Lars
> --
> Lars Oppermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>               Sun Microsystems
> Software Engineer - Sun ONE Webtop                       Sachsenfeld 4
> Phone: +49 40 23646 959                                D-20097 Hamburg
> Fax:   +49 40 23646 550                      http://www.sun.com/webtop

*----*

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above
as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is
PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.