Bojan Smojver wrote:

> I have subscribed myself to Tomcat User list a few days back with the
> intention to help a few people on it (given my +1 on TC 3.3 final). I
> have to say that the amount of e-mails and sometimes the superficial
> nature of them prevented me from actually doing any useful work. Don't
> know about the rest of you guys, but I really can't go through 200
> something Tomcat e-mails every day, just to weed out the good questions
> from the bad ones.
>
> Although Tomcat Dev list is usually kept to the point, I think the
> amount of traffic on it warrants a change too.
>
> So, at risk of being ridiculed or flamed, I propose this:
>
> 1. Tomcat User list should split into Tomcat 3 and Tomcat 4 lists
>
> 2. Tomcat Dev list should split into Tomcat 3 and Tomcat 4 lists

Like Craig, I am not in favour of separing these lists.

> 3. There should be Tomcat Connectors lists as well (both Dev and User)
> since there are many questions related to connectors alone (and j-t-c is
> a separate beast in CVS these days anyway)

What I would like is to see "Tomcat Connectors" in the list of jakarta
subprojects.
Seperate mail list could be good, but is not needed: How the people will know
that there is a list when there is no subproject?

> 4. There should be a web form for submitting serious questions to Tomcat
> User list. This form would force the users (that really need developers
> attention) to fill in all relevant information, rather then just ask
> superficial questions which create a lot of noise on the list. The page
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html should make it clear that
> questions submitted through the form would probably get more attention
> then other 'user-to-user' questions. It would be easy for the developers
> to recognize and respond to 'properly formatted' questions, rather then
> waste time on browsing through hundreds of e-mails every day.

To send a mail to the user list you have to subscribe to list, that means you
will receive others messages and be publicly flamed if doing wrong thing (even
removed from list if needed).

A web form... We have bugzilla for that.