Mike,
[I tried sending this privately, but it bounced.]

I just got caught up on the rest of the messages in tomcat-dev and it looks
like this patch doesn't do what you expect.  Mod_jk doesen't handle
wildcards per se.  It only knows two kinds of mappings

JkMount /path/*

and

JkMount *.ext

The way code is written, doing JkMount /path/*j_security_check will actually
map all requests to /path/* to Tomcat.  Now, that isn't necessarily a bad
thing, and unless your application has lots of static data that would be
better served through Apache, I think its safer to route all requests to
resources inside the web application through Tomcat.  All of my applications
now just do a JkMount /app/* AJP13.

Marc Saegesser