On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Bill Barker wrote:

> I'm in favor of this, since the protocol is only being extended, not really
> changed.
>
> However, I think that one of the extensions that should be implemented early
> on is a version negotiation so that the newer side can gracefully degrade in
> the future without having to rely on the user changing configuration
> settings.

Yes, Henri already implemented this in the login phase - however Ajp13
doesn't support this.

The distinction between post Ajp14 will be the number of callbacks
supported - and login/negotiation is the essential one to diferentiate
between Ajp13 and Ajp14+.

If the user doesn't set the login callback - we will use 'plain' ajp13.

If the user does have a login - it's clear he wants ajp14 ( or later ) and
we can detect the number of callbacks supported.

The distinction between ajp13, 14, ... will be in the number of callbacks
- each version will have a set of callbacks ( sort of API version
instead of protocol version ).

Regardless of the Ajp version, we should support all previous ones up to
13. This will also minimize the amount of pain for 3.2.x users, who are
unlikely to get Ajp14 ported, and also for users of 4.0 - again, support
for ajp14 is likely to be available in 4.0.2 or later. They'll still be
able to get most fixes, and we'll have less code to maintain.

Costin