> Currently, all supporting jar files for servlets which come with Tomcat 4
> are placed in the $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib directory with the Tomcat 4
> core jar files.  This is a potential security problem because the default
> catalina.policy grants AllPermission to all jar files located in
> $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib.  I don't think the default policy for these
> servlets should be AllPermission.  Especially for the SSI and CGI
servlets.

If you give the appropriate permissions to allow SSI and CGI, you're
actually giving AllPermissions anyway (since you're allowing a native script
or executable to run, which is not constrained by the Java sandbox), so I'm
missing the point here.

> To make the default catalina.policy more secure and make configuring
security
> policies easier, I recommend the following changes:
>
> 1.  Create $CATALINA_HOME/servlets/lib and
$CATALINA_HOME/servlets/classes.
>     This is where global servlets provided with Tomcat 4 can be installed.
>
> 2.  Move the following jar files into $CATALINA_HOME/servlets/lib
>
> servlets-cgi.renametojar
> servlets-common.jar
> servlets-default.jar
> servlets-invoker.jar
> servlets-manager.jar
> servlets-snoop.jar
> servlets-ssi.jar

This one is disabled by default too.

> servlets-webdav.jar
>
> 3.  Update the class loader creation in Bootstrap.java for the catalina
loader
>     to look for jar files and classes in $CATALINA_HOME/servlets in
addition
>     to $CATALINA_HOME/server.
>
> 4.  Update the default catalina.policy so that it provides explicit
>     permissions for each jar file in $CATALINA_HOME/servlets/lib.
>
> 5.  Update the documentation regarding the above changes.
>
> Please vote +1 so I can implement the above changes.

This seems reasonable.
(Of course, it's going to break all the scripts yet again ;-))

Remy