> I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. The folks
> on soap-user directed me to tomcat-user, and the tomcat-user
> folks suggested I try tomcat-dev.  So here I am...
>
> I'm experiencing a problem with SOAP message-style services
> when using Tomcat 4.01.  When trying to access any message-style
> SOAP service, my client receives a "no signature match" fault.
> I have no problem with RPC-style SOAP services, the same
> message-style SOAP services work fine with Tomcat 3.2.3,
> and the signature of the my message-style services is of
> the correct form; ie:
>
>   public void serviceName( Envelope env, SOAPContext req, SOAPContext
> res )
>     throws IOException, MessagingException;
>
> What makes me think that this may be a Tomcat classloader
> problem is that I can make the fault go away by removing
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/soap/WEB-INF/classes/org/.
> But I don't understand why this makes the fault go away,
> and it's clearly an unacceptable hack.
>
> I've attached the following:
>   details.txt    -- detailed problem description
>   echomsg.tar.gz -- a simple example
> details
>
> Any help in correcting/understanding this will be appreciated.
> Sorry for the size of this post, but I'm trying to provide all
> of the details necessary to resolve this.  Thanks,

The problem is that there are class conflicts, as half of the SOAP classes
are in the webapp CL, and will be loaded from there (since the CL won't
delegate), and the rest will be loaded from the shared CL. The conflicts
will occur because the SOAP classes loaded from the shared CL will also load
a "different" copy of the same SOAP classes from soap.jar.

Moving soap.jar to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/soap/WEB-INF/lib/soap.jar should
solve the problem, and could be used as a workaround. Alternately, you can
remove from $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/soap/WEB-INF/classes/ the classes which
are also present in the JAR.

Note: I don't consider this a Catalina problem, but more a questionable
packaging choice of the SOAP binary.

Remy