> Dear Sir
>
> I already did some research about this problem. But still be confused.
> I want to take advantage of the persistent connection of Http/1.1.
>
> In my experiement, if HTTP/1.1 client connects to the tomcat 4.0.1
Http/1.1
> directly, the persistent connection can be established.
>
> However, it is usless because actually all companies employ http proxies.
> Furthermore, a lot of them such as the squid is a http/1.0 proxy.
>
> in my application, the client (http/1.1) -----> squid proxy(http/1.0)
> ----> tomcat 4.0.1.(Http/1.1)
>
> I found that tomcat 4.0.1 always sends a FIN package after it sends the
> response even
> i send the Connection: Keep-Alive in the request header. Also, I know
> the tomcat
> does also received "Connection: Keep-Alive" header via proxy.
>
> I did a comparison between tomcat4.0.1 and apache 1.3.9, the results
> show that
> if If I add "Connection: Keep-Alive" header in the request, apache
> server will
> keep the connection alive even the proxy/client sends a HTTP/1.0 package.
>
> However, It seems that tomcat 4.0.1 doesn't support this feature. I
> think this feature isn't defined
> in specification, however, it is so important that it provide the only
> way(am i right?)
>  to establish persistent connection in real world which is consisted of
> unexpected HTTP/1.0 proxies.
>
> I don't know whether my understanding is correct or not. Any comments
> are welcome.

That's correct. Tomcat 4 doesn't support legacy HTTP/1.0 keepalive. As
usual, if you want to have it fixed you can contribute patches.
Keepalives over HTTP/1.0 are not that useful in a JSP / servlets
environment, as in many many cases, the content-length of the response is
not set. Overall, I think it's time for HTTP/1.0 to go away (1.1 has been
around for some time now).

Remy