To clarify - this is not a replacement or an 'exclusive' mechanism.
The 'ajp14' based config, where tomcat sends notifications to apache
remains.

The problems with 'tomcat sending config info to apache' ( and why I
would not make that the 'default' simple config ):

1. It requires a strict startup sequence ( tomcat before apache ).
Otherwise, if tomcat is not started apache will respond '404' for
what it doesn't recognize, instead of 'temporary unavailable' or 'context
is down'. This can be very problematic for users ( who'll assume the url
is wrong instead of try again later ).

2. Apache ( or server ) configs will be located on the server machine
anyway. I prefer keeping it centralized, and maybe have a mechanism to
rsync the webapps directory from the master to the workers instead of reverse.

3. Regarding security, I believe tomcat may be as vulnerable. Apache is
serving static files ( assuming a java shop ), tomcat is running
potentially insecure code. Of course, sandbox can help, but it's not that
easy to use with real-world applications. It's way too easy to write a
servlet that uploads a file and doesn't check very well the directory.

So keeping tomcat inside the firewall may not be the best idea ( after all
most apache exploits I know are related with the dynamic code it runs ).
Unless you run sandboxed tomcat.

Costin