Hi
I use tomcat 3.2 on various platforms.

My problem is this: when modifying a bean's properties through a jsp form, I
would like a property to be cleared if the corresponding form field is
cleared. The introspect(...) method in the JspRuntimeLibrary does not do
this for me.

I searched the archives and found that according to the spec, if a request
parameter has no value, then the corresponding bean property is not to be
modified (see http://w4.metronet.com/~wjm/tomcat/2000/Jul/msg00481.html). Oh
well.

That still leaves me the problem of handling empty fields. I could
1) Go through the list of request parameters myself and clear the
corresponding bean properties if parameters have no value. This feels like
duplicating some of what the introspectHelper(...) method does.
2) Use javascript to record all empty fields to a hidden field at submit
time. This is rather cumbersome and requires a little extra code in the form
bean.

I've used both but neither is very satisfying.

So, to summarize, is there a preferred or recommended way of doing this that
anybody knows of?

Thanks
Johan Hoogenboezem