On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:31:44 +0100
> From: GOMEZ Henri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Tomcat 3.3 and 4.x tuning via command line
>
> >> I don't know if the Eclipse configuration allows you to
> >> specify -D<prop>=<value> in Tomcat's startup.  If it does,
> >> I think a lot of this can be done in Tomcat 3.3.1 using
> >> parameter substitution.  I have used in server.xml
> >>
> >>     <Http10Connector port="${http.port}" ... />
> >>
> >> and included
> >>
> >>     -Dhttp.port=8080
> >>
> >> in the startup command to make server.xml runtime
> >> configurable.  Would this approach work for you?
> >> If so, perhaps it would desirable to add this feature
> >> to Tomcat 4.x.
> >>

> >That seems like a very reasonable approach.
>
> Yes, very good as it will ease the plugin tuning,
> everything works fine right now with tomcatpluginv8
> for Tomcat 3.3.1-dev

I'm wondering whether we really need to build it in to Tomcat itself,
though.  Can't you accomplish the same thing by using a little Ant script
and run a <filter> or <replace> task?  All this would require is packaging
ant.jar along with Tomcat, or requiring users that need the facility to
download Ant themselves.

Extending this a little further, you could run an Ant <style> or Anakia
task to convert some internal representation of the server environment you
wish to create into a valid server.xml file for whichever version of
Tomcat you wanted to run ...

Craig