> Remy,
>
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> >
> > I agree with Pier here. I think we should only try to implement daemon
> > fnctionality using the appropriate wrapper. Implmenting it with standard
> > Tomcat using scripts is a nasty hack.
> > Somehow, Patrick doesn't seem to like my BootstrapService (which works
> > perfectly well; it's even been in use for a long time through the NT
service
> > which ships with the Windows installer) :-(
>
> I admit it: I was trying to implement a hack. I am definitely warming up
to the
> idea of jumping straight into Pier's scripts. After all of this
discussion, it
> doesn't seem to be so much work to switch to a native launcher to
implement the
> setuid() stuff.

Wait, Costin did cast his vote in your favor ;-)

> Plus, I agree with Remy that the use of shell scripts to launch Tomcat is
a bit
> nasty. I like the idea of using Pier's launcher (I assume the Windows
native
> code has a native launcher as well?)

*cough*
Well, let's say the current Windows code needs Cygwin and the jsvc "Unix"
wrapper at the moment ;-)
Obviously, contributors are needed to implment a Win native JNI based
wrapper :-D

> to be able to start Tomcat via a
> double-click on an executable and no MS-DOS window on Windows.

At the moment, it is only a NT service, I think. The exe wrapper can (and
probably should) do both.

Remy