Costin,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Are you sure we need all this ? The .sh/.bat is already too complex.
>

> A simple check ( in java ) for the things that we care about should be
> more than enough, adding another config option and env variable is too
> much.

I have to admit that using the scripts is a messy way to handle this
problem. I am still trying to find a way to get the java.endorsed.dirs
property out of the scripts.

> The intent of the ext/ is to simplify the user's life - so they don't have
> to set CLASSPATH. It doesn't work out in most cases.

I agree. It is one of those tradeoffs: you can customize your JDK, but
it may not work with your applications.

> If we want to disable it - fine, but I don't like making the user's life
> even harder by forcing him to remember and set yet another env variable.
> I expect the 'regular' user will use ext/, most advanced users are well
> aware of the problems and they already know how to deal with that.
>
> I remain -0 - if you really think this is a problem that must be solved,
> I won't veto it.

I don't think I will commit this proposed change. After thinking about
it, I don't think a hacky script change is a real solution. Since this a
problem that affects nearly all Java applications (ant complained  when
I forgot to delete the jaxp.jar that I put in my jre/lib/ext directory),
I am starting to think that this may be a problem where the cure is more
painful than the problem.

Patrick