On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I don't know any differences in the thread handling between 4.0 and 4.1.
> What is the problem ?

You're right, my mistake.

There are 2 problems.

The first was that when you call main(), the method will never return.
In 3.x main() starts some deamon threads and initialize everything, then
it returns. That serves as an indication that the server was started ( for
things like ant or other tools embeding it ).

That's easy to solve, I call main in a separate thread now.

The hard problem - and I really need help on this one - the 8005
and shutdown protocol.

First, if jk and ajp13 is used - people may want to use the shutdown
command in ajp13 and keep a single port open. If JNI is used, the shutdown
is tied to the apache ( or IIS, etc) process shutdown.

More important - in multi-process apache there is a 'natural' load
balancing - each apache process will run a tomcat VM and those will
be load balanced. That's the tricky part and the main obstacle in getting
JNI working.

What I need is a way to disable the 8005. For example if I set the value
to 0 in server.xml, catalina should not open the port ( if you really
want the main thread blocked as long as catalin runs you can do a simple
while( running ) this.wait() ).