> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > This looks like a good idea to me (Kin-Man is not there this week, so
it's
> > not an expert opinion). I would see that kind of change going into
Jasper 2,
> > though. Do you think you can prepare a patch against that version ?
> >
> > Remy
>
> Thanks!
>
> We've done some benchmarks with JMeter, even though the case we tested is
pathologic,
> the JSP contained 100 tags!  The results were impressive.  The Jasper
version included
> with the "pre-beta" 4.1 tomcat averaged 20 seconds/hit, with the patch,
the CVS
> version of jasper2 average 0.8 second/hit.  If there is less try/finally
nesting
> in the java code of the page, the difference is less impressive of course.
>
> The test setup, the test page and the detail of the results can be found:
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/benoitde/
>
> NOTE my "sunday patch" contained one bug, this one has been more tested.

I've applied the patch. Watchdog is fine, so I committed it.

The admin webapp appeared slow before the patch (esp when using a context
page), and that was with an Athlon 1700 as the server with one user (me).
I'm not happy in general when a request uses 100% of the CPU for 1 full
second ;-) I couldn't figure out why it was so slow, and the other runtime
optimizations didn't help at all. It turns out it was caused by this JVM bug
... With the patch, it's become quite fast. Very impressive, and since IMO
it is quite representative of a Struts based application which would have
complex pages, it's really awesome.

I suppose the fast JSP compilers (Resin, Orion) use similar tricks in the
code generation.

Remy