We have lots of not webapp related static stuff so we have set the
DocumenRoot of apache
at our static 'source' tree (not tomcat related source tree).

For the few bits of static content in our webapps (few logos) we do not
really care (yet).
They are served by Tomcat.

This has all historic reasons. This is an old system migrating slowly :)

So we do not even have a Tomcat installed on our webservers - so no webapps
directories.

> Even in the second case, I think it is easier to 'deploy' one conf file
> per webapp in a clear format than editing workers.properties.
>
> > Did I misunderstand the intent of this configuration? Is it a
> 'best guess'
> > for simple setups?
> > Probably in our scenario we have to configure it manually anyways.
>
> Manual configuration will work, of course. In tomcat you can still edit
> server.xml. It's just that I would strongly discourage that for 'normal'
> use.

We make heavy use of the apps-myall.xml files in TC 3.3.1 - but as I said,
no Tomcat on our webservers.
We have 2 hardware loadbalanced small pizzaboxes running Apache and three
bigger Solaris machines
running our Tomcats and the database.

> > > Some 'special' files ( like in 4.1 and the 3.3 apps- files ) will
> > > also be read and used to load webapps that sit in different
> directories.
> >
> > same here we are on different machines.
>
> Again, all you need is to install 1 file on the server machine for each
> webapp ( without static files ).
>
> I personally believe that is a very bad choice to not let apache serve
> the static files, but it'll work.

Have not yet figured out how to combine our static DocumentRoot plus serving
static
contents from our webapps.

> > Just make sure, everything in the config can be overwritten and
> configures
> > manually
> > if possible in a single file (as workers.properties right now)
>
> Either workers2.properties, or one file in the webapps ( named
> after the application, with .jk2 extension ).
>
> The file can be used if you have the docRoot in a different place in
> the apache server.

exactly this is our setup. So we will use a workers2.properties.

Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
Hans