On Fri, 3 May 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >1. The 'worker' name is deprecated. It refers to too many
> >things in mod_jk, and causes too much confusion ( i.e. it
> >is a 'handler', coresponds to a jvmRoute, a protocol, a
> >channel ).
>
> +1, worker term should be related to a processing job/thread
> not communication (a multiplexing worker could handle multiple
> connections)

Actually, I would rather not use it at all.

It's too easy to confuse it with a 'worker in a pool' ( i.e.
the tomcat instance ), and we used it too much to not create
future confusions.

- 'group' should be used when mapping requests ( even if the
group consist of a single instance ).

- 'tomcatId' is the attribute to identify a particular tomcat
instance ( and will default for socket channels to host:port,
but I still have to push this into coyote's upper layer )

- 'channel' should be used when reffering to a connection
method

- 'handler' is probably the right term for the actual
request processor ( worker_ajp13, worker_status, etc ).

> >By default, each instance will have one socket channel and
> >will be named by the local part ( i.e. HOST:port ). That's the
> >name that'll identify the VM.
>
> Only one socket channel listening but with multiple active
> sockets isn't it ?

Sure, but it doesn't makes sense to listen on 2 ajp13 ports
( I think ). In any case, the 'first' ajp13 port will be
used to create the host id, and we should assume it's there.

( it's not required by the code, but for our own
sanity and to keep things clear. )

> >4. We'll use the term 'group' to reffer to a set of tomcat
> >'instances' that share a number of applications. The default
> >group will be called 'lb'.  One 'instance' can be part of
> >one or many groups.
>
> Group will group VM (which could be in the same or differents
> machines)

Group is an 'lb'.

You can have a group with a single tomcat instance ( i.e.
what we had when we did "JkMount /foo ajp13" ). And a tomcat
instance can belong to multiple groups.

In other words, 'groups' are defined by the way webapps
are deployed - if you have one or many webapps deployed
on certain instances, they'll form the 'group' and all
webapps must be mapped to the group.

The common case - when all servers run the same apps -
you just have the 'default' group and all apps can
be mapped to the default 'lb' group.

> The webserver(s) will receive notification of map.properties,
> the planned autoconf features of ajp14.

Let's call this 'autoconf features of ajp13' :-)

Yes, and this can also be done using the shm - it'll
be used to send notifications about tomcat instances going
up or down, it's easy to extend to notify about additiona
webapps.