> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> How is Ant implemented within Tomcat for doing JSP compiles?
>
> I am concerned about Ant running within the same JVM and having to capture
> the JVM's System.out and System.err.  Other output from catalina could get
> intermixed with the Ant output.  Also I saw something about synchronizing
> of compiles being required.

If the compiler is run within the same thread as the request, then the
filtering can be done.
I presume all out of process compilers would suffer from that problem.

However, I'd like to point out that there's no other choice but to upgrade.
In many situations, the current Jasper 2 generated servlets don't compile to
valid bytecode when using the classic compiler (and you get a VerifyError
when loading the class; this happens esp when using JSTL). The J2SE team
hasn't touched the old compiler code for more than 2 years, and refuse to
fix bugs :-(

Remy