Yes, but you don't need to start the TC then. It is ment to be started
from Apache itself, using something like that from workers2.properties:

[channel.jni:jni]
info=The jni channel, used if tomcat is started inprocess
disabled=0
debug=0

[vm:]
info=Parameters used to load a JVM in the server process
OPT=-Djava.class.path=${TOMCAT_HOME}/bin/tomcat-jni.jar
OPT=-Djava.class.path=${APACHE2_HOME}/bin/modjava.jar
OPT=-Dtomcat.home=${TOMCAT_HOME}
OPT=-Dcatalina.home=${TOMCAT_HOME}
OPT=-Xmx128M
disabled=0

[worker.jni:jniCmd1]
info=Command to be executed by the VM. This one will start tomcat.
class=org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter
ARG=start
disabled=0

MT.