> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> Well, I agree that the refered field in the database would fit perfectly
> in the case of having more than one instance of Tomcat handling requests,
> but why can't it be used for the "local" session handling as well?
>

> About what you wrote: "Once a session is marked invalid, my understanding
> is that it only exists for the remaining scope of the page that marked it
> invalid.". In my case I am not invalidating the session in any page, the
> session is timed out by tomcat. And I had a simple test page in an
> environment with a timeout for the session set to a low value (3 minutes).

ok... a session is said to be "invalid" when marked invalid (by
calling session.invalidate() ) by a Servlet or JSP page.  When a
session is expired, it is also marked invalid, but it is immediately
removed from being accessible.  So the only time your code should be
able to manipulate a Session it should be in the valid state unless
your code explicitly marks it as invalid.

So writting an expired/invalidated session to the store would be
pointless because it is just about to be thrown away.

> If I follow what tomcat is doing, these are the steps:
>
> 1 - The session is backed up to the database (I set the value maxIdleBackup="10")
>after nearly 10 seconds of inactivity.
> 2 - In my jsp page I check the methods session.isNew() = false,
>request.isRequestedSessionIdValid() = true. This would be the expected
> behavior.
> 3 - After the session is timed out by tomcat (I simply take no action
> during 3 minutes), it is removed from the database.
> 4 - I try again to acess the same JSP page and the methods return session.isNew() =
>true and request.isRequestedSessionIdValid() = false.
> This would also be ok except for the fact that I have a NEW value for the
> sessionID.

Yea, this seems correct.  Your old session times out after 3 minutes
and is disposed.  Your browswer then connects and is assigned a new
sesstion.  The old session was marked invalid for probably a few
miliseconds and then disposed of (or recycled.)

> With this behavior it is impossible to find out if I have a new
> session or an expired one. Maybe I am missing something here, but my
> idea was to redirect the user to a page telling him something like:
> "hi my friend, please login again because your session has
> expired". With the current implementation I am finding no solution
> to this.

You have a new session.  because request.isRequestedSessionIdValid() =
false, you know an older session is no longer available.

To detect and handle a new/previously logged in user, You could do
something like this on your page,

        if (session.isNew() && request.isRequestedSessionIdValid() == false ) {
                response.sendRedirect("/relogin.jsp");
        }

You should also do something to ensures your session (new or
otherwise) is cooked the way you want it, like

        if( session.getAttribute("username") == null) {
                reponse.sendRedirect("/pleaseLogin.jsp");
        }

or some such.

Cheers,
-bob