I would like to see it in the release notes. As a user (who lurks in the
dev list), I do not delete the work directory when upgrading. Because of
having 2000+ JSP's on a site, we try to avoid having mass JSP recompiles.

Or is my point worthless since this should only really affect users
going from 4.0.X to 4.1.X  (when 4.1.X is considered "final")? Since I
doubt anyone is using any of the current 4.1.X releases for productional
use.

Anyhow, here is a quick stab at a release note blurb if it is worth
being noted:

JSP users upgrading from versions <= 4.1.7
A change has been made to the naming convention of JSP work files. If
you precompile JSP's, you will need to re-precompile them before using
this release. Another side effect is all JSP's will be recompiled on
first use (excluding the precompiled JSP's just mentioned). For users
upgrading, we recommend deleting your work directory ($TOMCAT_HOME/work)
after upgrading so old work files are cleaned up.

-Tim