i've seen that the question i'm going to write have been posted to many
mailing lists (sun, ssl, tomcat-user) but i haven't seen any useful answer
(perhaps i haven't seen well).

I'm using Tomcat 4.0.3 with secure connections (ssl), if i use only the
certificate for the server all things go well.

When in the configuration file of tomcat i change the value of clientAuth
to true,
asking for the client's certificate, on the client the list of certificates
is empty.

On the client I'm using a pkcs#11 certificate released by a CA of an
Italian Ministry (Government),
on the server, i generate a self-signed certificate with keytool.

I have imported the client certificate in internet explorer 6 (and also in
netscape 6.2),
i've imported also the certificate of the certification authorities
On the server i did the same thing
(keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias name -file name.cer -keystore
C:\java-pgm\Tomcat4\conf\.keystore).

I know that the server presents to the client a list of the certification
authorities (certificates) it accepts, so for some unknown reason in this
list there isn't the right certificate, even if on the server with "keytool
-list" i can see that the certificates have been correctly imported.

(I did the same thing many times, with other certificates, on some apache
web server,
that have more configurable options, i have never had problems)

Can someone help me ?

Thank you in advance
Massimo