On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 15:37, Remy Maucherat wrote:
[...]
> Yes, but welcome files for non physical resources cannot be implemented
> (since you have no way of asking a servlet if it can or cannot process a
> resource).
> I'll implement something which works and which is very close to what the
> spec requires.
>
> Again, I have sent many messages to the spec leads about this issue
> without any result, so I give up ...

I don't completely understand the issue(s), but consider this,

<servlet-mapping>
   <servlet-name>BooServlet</servlet-name>
   <url-pattern>/*.boo</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<welcome-file-list>
   <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
   <welcome-file>index.boo</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

Is the problem that by the time the 'welcome file logic' gets a chance
to handle the request, the logic that would have been able to pass this
request off to a servlet is way too far up the call stack?    It is
almost like the DefaultServlet would need to open a connection to the
loopback and check each "welcome file" URI to find one that gets to
something useful (this is just a mental exercise, don't get excited I
wouldn't think of implementing this.)

Cheers,
-bob