Hello All

I have noticed that the /etc/init.d/tomcat4 script still contains
what is described as an "Ugly hack" - a short two second pause when
restarting the service instead of something that confirms that all
threads have been shut down.

A while ago I modified my own script to conatain the following lines -
 perhaps they could be of some use for others, I don't know. I am by
no means an experienced coder so please bear with me if this is not
the most elegant solution - it just works for me... ;-)

stop() {
    echo -n "Stopping $TOMCAT_PROG: "
    if [ -x /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ]; then
        daemon --user $TOMCAT_USER $TOMCAT_SCRIPT stop
    else
        su - $TOMCAT_USER -c "$TOMCAT_SCRIPT stop"
    fi
    RETVAL=$?
    echo

    echo 'Waiting for java threads to finish...'
    threads=1
    until [ $threads = '0' ]
                do
                ps -aux | grep $TOMCAT_USER -c > /tmp/threads
                read threads < /tmp/threads
    done
    rm -f /tmp/threads
    echo 'Java threads cleaned up - shutdown complete.'

    [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/tomcat4
/var/run/tomcat4.pid
}

The above works on a x86 RedHat 7.1 - I don't know if things may work
differently on other systems.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Anders C. Madsen

Golden Planet          Tel.: +45 7020 9594
Dalbygade 40           Fax.: +45 7020 9592
DK-6000  Kolding       http://www.goldenplanet.dk