Ryan Lubke wrote:

>> The port MUST be the one in the Host Header if one is present,and should
>> be present if the request is HTTP1.1 compliant,
>>
> What if the Host header is supplied, but the value is empty.  This seems
> legal per section 14.23 of the HTTP/1.1 RFC?

It is legal in the case that "the requested URI does not include an Internet
host name". I have no idea what that means - but it is made clear that
if the user provides a host in the request, that host must be included.

I don't know any way to access a web site by a client without using
an Internet host name. Maybe some of the 'smart URLs' in new browsers or
some tricks with a proxy server ? But even in this case the proxy
server MUST include the right Host - or whoever makes the real
HTTP request on behalf of the client.

Costin

I assume it may be possible