Well that's a shame. This feature seemed to work in eg. Resin, and it's
very convenient. Is there some reason to this behaviour in Tomcat?

But if this isn't going to change, maybe the docs should reflect this.
>From Realm HOW-TO (under JDBCRealm Additional notes):

==
# Once a user has been authenticated, the user (and his or her
associated roles) are cached within Tomcat for the duration of the
user's login.

(For FORM-based authentication, that means until the session times out
or is invalidated;

 for BASIC authentication, that means until the user closes their browser).
==

-km