> With JDK1.4 - this is not possible anyway ( unless reverse loader
> is used to load org.apache.xalan classes ).

Interesting point here, will it be possible when using jdk 1.4
to use a specific xalan at least for webapp ?

> Just put xalan in common, it won't be worse :-) ( or use 1.4 )

So we'll have to put xalan/xerces in commons ?

May be time to upgrade the build to xerces-j 2.1.0, xalan 2.4.0
and xml-commons 1.0 ?

> The alternative is to put mx4j-tools in container and make sure
> the right class loader is used ( i.e. explicitely pass the loader
> when constructing the mbean - I think it is possible ).
> But I wouldn't waste time with that.

Ok, so you suggest to put jaxp + mx4j + mx4jtools in commons
and warn users that their apps will have to use the commons JAXP,
MX4J and MX4JTOOLS (since a webapp may also use mx4j for it's
own purposes ?)