Costin Manolache wrote:
> Glenn,
>
> As a new feature, you need a majority of votes and at least 3 +1.
> My vote is -1 ( but is not a veto ). Only commits can be vetoed,
> and I'll probably do so if castor is used - all tomcat is using
> digester style for xml processing, and we have a proposal to
> use JNDI to abstract XML processing. If each piece of tomcat
> start using another technology - maybe jaxb ? or any other
> xml-to-java we'll end up with a huge mess.
>
> I also strongly disagree with doing schema validations at
> runtime ( i.e. on every run ), so if you really want validation
> it must be done only once ( and at each file modification ) or
> be done by the config tools.

This code only does validation when the container is started or
when a web application context is reloaded.  The current implementation
using the standard policy file does the same thing only not with XML.

> Yes, we have webdav bundled - aparently a majority of voters
> believed it was a good idea. I think it isn't - and if someone
> propose to remove it and just recommend slide I'll be +1.
> But that's not a good argument for adding more.

My only point is that the current policy is to bundle everything in
the Tomcat releases and not provide downloads for separate add on
modules.  We can discuss whether we want to change that policy.

> My major concerns are:
> - integration in a new config mechanism. If you don't like JNDI/JMX
> proposal, make another one - but we should have a consistent way of
> dealing with config ( as API ).
>
> - castor use. I like castor - and if a proposal is made to use
> castor in all xml processing, I may be +0. But I'm strongly -1
> on using castor for policy, digester for server.xml and DOM for
> jasper.

I agree with you in principal.  From having worked with the code
in Tomcat which uses the digester and the code which the admin
application uses for marshalling XML, the current Tomcat 4 code
for configuration management looks very "brute force".  I have
been thinking about how the current code works and whether
Castor would be a much simpler solution.

> - DTD - what are jboss or j2ee using for policy ? What other
> DTDs are in use for this ? XML is just a file format, if
> everyone uses a different DTD we're in a mess.

I very much doubt if any servlet/J2EE containers use the same
configuration methods.  This is something the specs leave up to
the individual implementation.