I am running multiple tomcat instances on one server (user TOMCAT_BASE
setup). I need to know whether a particular tomcat instance is up or
down for monitoring purposes.

The tomcats I am running only have the shutdown port and ajp13 port bound.

Is a socket connection without a command to the shutdown port enough? Is
there any way to connect to the ajp13 port and do a dummy request? Is
there a java api for client side ajp13 to help with this?

Any help would be appreciated,

Eugene