Costin Manolache wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>

>>More comments on APR and JK2.
>>
>>While making tomcat-connectors rpm for jk2, and also
>>jk2 binaries for Linux, I wanted to have apache 1.3 jk2
>>built with JNI support.
>

> Do you have a multithreaded apache1.3 ? It's very important
> to compile it as multithreaded and link pthread !

No but added the LoadModule pthread directive.

> For the apr issues - I still think that apr should be
> treated as a general-purpose library, and we shouldn't
> have more than one varaiant in the system.

Yes

> Probably some APR expert could clarify this - but my opinion
> is that on linux the right place for apr is /usr/lib/libapr.so.0.9.2
> and /usr/include/apr.

When you create an Apache 2.0.42, apr shared lib goes in /usr/lib, with
/usr/lib/libapr.so.0.9.2. The includes goes in /usr/include/apache2.

When you're just build apr/apr-util, you should put them elsewhere to
avoid collision with the one which are provided by apache2.

If you don't do this, you'll have a strange situation where you have
to specify that you need apache2 to build apache 1.3 jk2 !

Also as I said the shared/static libs which came from apr 0.9.1 have
major version in name, libapr-0.so, libaprutil-0.so...

> And I think Apache2.0 RPM should just depend on libapr.rpm,
> and same for mod_jk2.rpm

I seems you could build Apache 2.0.42 against an allready
present APR shared lib, and trying it right now but I still wonder
why Apache 2.0.42 bundle an APR 0.9.2 where only APR 0.9.1 is available
as release.

> It's just too confusing to have 2 variants of the same library,
> and it should be a portability library that can be used outside
> apache - without apache having a special copy.

I agree, but it's something which should be fixed by Apache 2.0 and
APR teams, ie make Apache 2.0 use the latest APR release (0.9.1 or 0.9.2 ?).

May be JF could do something for us and also ask why the apr goes with
the -0 in names....