"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So,
>
> My first question is : why tomcat use all the memory while there is no
> users connected (or just one) ?

The JVM allocates chunks of memory (see the -Xmx and -Xms flags by invoking
"java -X") and manages them... So, one user, 100 users, same thing...

> My second question is : how much memory is needed if I want to use tomcat
> with many users (500, 1000,...) ?

On a 5 millions hits/day server (not running Tomcat, another servlet
container since Tomcat doesn't work for us), we have the VM starting with 1
Gigs of RAM ("java -server -Xmx 1024m -Xms 1024m ...") but we use half of it
(roughly) to cache data from the DB...

> I already read in the forum Tomcat don't manage the memory, it is the
> JVM... so why the jvm use so many processes ?

Those are _not_ processes, they are threads... Use a decent operating system
that supports them nicely (not Linux) and you'll see the difference (how
many times do I have to repeat this?)... Linux sucks :-(

    Pier