What operating system do you prefer, Pier?

At 01:31 PM 10/28/2002 +0000, you wrote:
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So,
>
> My first question is : why tomcat use all the memory while there is no
> users connected (or just one) ?

The JVM allocates chunks of memory (see the -Xmx and -Xms flags by invoking
"java -X") and manages them... So, one user, 100 users, same thing...

> My second question is : how much memory is needed if I want to use tomcat
> with many users (500, 1000,...) ?

On a 5 millions hits/day server (not running Tomcat, another servlet
container since Tomcat doesn't work for us), we have the VM starting with 1
Gigs of RAM ("java -server -Xmx 1024m -Xms 1024m ...") but we use half of it
(roughly) to cache data from the DB...

> I already read in the forum Tomcat don't manage the memory, it is the
> JVM... so why the jvm use so many processes ?

Those are _not_ processes, they are threads... Use a decent operating system
that supports them nicely (not Linux) and you'll see the difference (how
many times do I have to repeat this?)... Linux sucks :-(

    Pier

Micael

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the message. Thank you