Craig, Amy - or anyone who knows JMX, I need help :-)

I just can't find any way to add an attribute change listener
in the whole JMX spec, unless I have the instance of the model
mbean. And there is no way to get that instance.

All query and get methods in MBeanServer return ObjectInstance -
i.e. name and class, but no 'instance'.

There is an 'addNotificationListener' that takes the object name -
but the spec ( and implementation ) doesn't allow this to register
attribute change listeners, and att changes are not sent to
listeners registered with this method ( there is an "all other but
attribute changes" in the PDF file ).

I'm stuck. I can add some code to the modeler mbean to work
around, but the solution won't work for other mbeans.

What I want to do is find all attribute changes done via JMX and persist
them - if you remember my old proposal. At the moment I'm not very sure
it can be implemented. The only possible solution to revive it would be
to force all attribute changes to go through a modeler-specific interface
or to require the use of the modeler for all mbeans.