that is unusual. I've done baseline performance tests with the standard
examples and haven't seen that kind of behavior with 4.1.10-12.  Can you
start tomcat with verbose:gc and see what kind of output you're
getting.  Just because the memory allocated to Java is 58megs at the
end, it doesn't mean it's actually using all of it actively.  getting
the GC output will tell you how much memory is being used, when GC runs
and whether or not a fullGC ran.

in past experience with 4.0.4, after loading all the example pages
tomcat's memory allocation is around 45megs.

peter