Am Don, 2002-11-21 um 19.29 schrieb Costin Manolache:
> The solution is not yet very well defined.
yup. I have experienced the same.

> Right now catalina can be extended with Valves or connectors or listeners.
> Some of them  (like jk connector ) can define MBeans. The major problem
> is having the admin interface recognize them - it should work
> but I never tried.

I'll have to look at them.

I only know that the default mbeans are plugged in with a
lifecyclelistener.

> I already committed some code to modeler to allow modules to
> have their own modeler description ( in META-INF/modeler-mbean.xml )
> and have it loaded automatically using getResources(). The code
> is not yet used, but will probably be for 5.0 ( or I hope so ).
> But if you implement your own mbean - you can register them yourself.

ok. would be interesting to see what the avalon project is doing in this
direction - they have management extensions for their containers.

but I like the idea of beeing able to add MBeans to webapps.
where is your code located in the jakarta-modeller source tree ?

> The only important thing is to get the MBeanServer using the same
> mechanisms ( i.e. get existing instead of creating new one ).

don't know exactly what you mean by this ...

> Also note that there are discussions on using modeler mbean to implement
> config changes ( it is not yet clear what's the best solution ), that
> may affect the support for custom mbeans.

sounds interesting.

> Another issue that wasn't much discussed is having mechanisms to
> use mbeans as extensions ( hooks, etc) - and use the mbean lifecycle
> and naming as a registration ( or alternatively, use a JNDI/JMX combination
> - the big problem with JMX is that you can't get the real object, all
> calls must be made via mbean server)

yes that's the tradeof. this makes JMX so powerful ( no direct
references ) but it can make things slow ...

one thing I could imagine is to go both directions:

a) via MBeans
b) via plain java interfaces ...

thanks very much for your help

-- Jakob