Remy Maucherat wrote:
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

With Tomcat 4.1 released many tomcat developers have been reticent to add new features
to its codebase for a number of reasons. All the development going on in Tomcat 5 and
wanting to keep the number of codebase's where bug fix patches have to be applied to a
minimum.

There are alot of ideas for new features that I would like to see end up in a Tomcat 4.2
release. Especially since we don't know when the Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0 specs will be finalized
so that Tomcat 5 can be released.

There isn't that much difference in the core of catalina between the Servlet 2.3 and
Servlet 2.4 specs. It might be possible to change the jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase
to make it neutral to what Servlet spec is implemented. Then this codebase could be
used for future Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 development. And we then have a common codebase
for applying bug fix patches.

This seems to fit in with the direction we have been going where different components
are kept in different code bases. naming, connectors, jasper, etc.

Comments?

This is hard to do (Catalina has never been written to allow facades). Also, for Tomcat 5, j-t-catalina is actually the Servlet 2.4 facade.

I'd like to point out that Jasper 2 from TC 5 is diverging from Jasper 2 from TC 4.1 very very quickly. Do you want a common codebase and some facades for that too ? ;-)

Connectors is in common, because of the set of facades used in Coyote.

I have no interest in that project, and see no point in trying to extend the life of the old API (given that the new one is quite similar).

-0 from me (ie, go ahead if there's some developer interest; of course, implementation details will need to be discussed further).
I'd like to add that these comments only apply to a portion of the code in j-t-catalina. A significant amount of code is independent (the stores, the auth, the realms, etc, etc), and could be put in that legendary j-t-modules repository ;-)

I don't see how j-t-jasper could be independent of the API (nor the rest of j-t-catalina); at least not without a prohibitive amount of work.

Remy