Filip Hanik wrote:
Remy wrote:

I'd like to get the save/restore on shutdown features of the std
manager, and can't really see any major problem it would cause.

could be a little tricky. how would you do this without getting the nodes
out of sync.
After reloading and passivating, the node will pull the list of sessions from the monitor. I agree this could end up out of sync, but this is a useful feature, otherwise the sessions go with the cluster.

then, when a server joins a cluster, there is a possibility that some
sessions might not get replicated correctly, because a state
transfer has to

happen. Thanks to Bela Ban pointing this out

and later in the future, instead of having every node keep a copy of the
session, just use primary and secondary servers for the cluster data.
So only two servers are active members of the cluster ?

nope, it would be more weblogic style, so all servers are members of the
cluster, but data only gets replicated between two of them.
Ok, why not.

Is a cluster with let's say 6 members really too expensive network wise
(assuming a dedicated gig ether link between the cluster members) ?

depends on how much data is being transferred. so the answer could be yes
and no, the current implementation is more expensive than the
primary/secondary solution I was talking about.
Obviously. It's a lot simpler of course ;-)

Anyway, I think by far the most important feature to add is a TCP or
HTTP redirector, possibly written with NBIO. Until then, the clustering
doesn't have much practical interest (usless you're willing to buy
additional expensive hardware; could squid get the job done, BTW ?).

you mean a software load balancer, there are a bunch of them out there
already. I use my homegrown in Java.
Yes, I mean that. If it is useful and works, maybe you'd want to add it in JG or contribute it to Tomcat.

I'm ok with proposing you as a committer, provided you accept to respect

I would like to continue the work on this. I think that Bela and myself
would be a big resource to Tomcat clustering.
Ok, I will nominate you then.

Remy