On 10/12/02 8:40 am, in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Remy
Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Like the httpd, I'd prefer having a full distribution of all safe (yes,
> Jasper is safe) and generally useful modules. Experienced users can
> tweak the configuration to their liking, and it is easy to do, but the
> beginners get an easy to run environment which does what they need (and
> obviously a lot more, since you'd want the distribution to fill the
> needs of 95% of users).

There is one big huge difference... Modules are DSOs, if you don't enable
them in your httpd.conf, they don't get loaded, they don't get used....

Disabling all of them can be done by "sed 's/^LoadModule/#LoadModule/g'".

If you get a binary distribution... (which, btw, doesn't enable most of
them, it just _ships_ them in the same bundle...)

If you don't get a binary distribution, when I build, I have a lot of tiny
--enable and --disable flags... I can _choose_ what to build, what to
install, what goes on my machine... This doesn't happen with Tomcat and it
SUCKS ASS. :-)

Don't compare yourself to HTTPD, learn from them, that's the only thing you
can do... :-) (suggestion from someone who has been around long enough).

New signature! :-)

    Pier

--
[...] mod_webapp,  which was *the* main reason for  many people not to adopt
Tomcat 4.x - Remy Maucherat                    Works for me - Pier Fumagalli