Costin,

> +1
>
> Is the EL depenent on javax.servlet or javax.servlet.jsp, or is it
> completely independent and useable in non-servlet-container environments ?

There are some dependencies on servlet containers. For example, the EL
supports implicit objects, one of them being "pageContext", so if you
have an expression of the form "${pageContext}", it is evaluated to
the PageContext object, which exists only in a servlet environment.

> BTW, another option that can be considered is what Sam Ruby mentioned
> few times on jakarta-general or community, i.e. just lower the
> walls between jakarta projects. Moving it to jakarta-commons does
> the same thing ( all jakarta committers can get access to it ),
> but I don't think we have to move code in order to get this effect.

Not sure I exactly understand what "lowering the walls between jakarta
projects" means. Would the EL implementation remain a component of the
Standard Taglib under this approach?

> You may also consider asking for a separate mailing list (
> jakarta-commons-el ?), the traffic on jakarta-commons is already high.

Good point.

Thanks for your comments,

Jan