Matt Parker wrote:

>> The welcome-file-list can include more than index.html - you may have
>> foo/index.html, etc ( i.e. things in other dirs ). That means #anchors
>> would break if we don't do redirect.
>
> This argument would apply equally to Apache's current implementation.
> You can specify multiple index files with the DirectoryIndex directive.
> So since Apache doesn't redirect, this must not be the case.

Well, it seems I'm wrong - Apache also allows relative paths in
DirectoryIndex.

And if the directory ends with "/", the anchors would probably work.

My mistake.

>> A second reason for doing redirects: a redirect will let the web server
>> handle the file serving ( if the index.html is a static file - or some
>> resource that apache can handle ).
>
> Then wouldn't that be specified in the web server's config? Also,
> redirecting the client to make yet another request couldn't possibly be
> faster than simply serving the static file.

Not necesarily faster - but if the file is a .shtml or .php - apache may
handle it better.
Probably not a very good reason ( since not too many people are mixing java
with non-java pages ).

>> A third reason: it's safer :-)
>
> ?? how is it safer?

More predictible.

> I don't mean to be argumentative, but I really think that it's The Right
> Way to do it. However I'll defer to the Tomcat team (I guess I don't
> have a choice :)

If I remember corectly - this was how the first implementation of welcome
files worked ( long, long ago ). After several strange bugs it changed to
do redirects.

Tomcat3.3 has an option - useInternal - that will change the behavior (
I think it defaults to false ).

It could be a good idea to add this option in 5.0 ( or 4.1 ).