Howdy,
While I don't particularly care for this particular thread (and thus
don't mind the patch either way), I did point want to make a couple of
comments:

>This should be a required feature.

Let's be very clear on what's "required" and what's not.  Per SRV.9.10,
"Welcome Files", and specifically to quote:
"The web container must send the request to the first
resource in the WAR that matches."

This does not mean a forward is required, not a redirect.  It is up to
the container implementation.  Tomcat is thus compliant with the
specification.  Whether it's the best implementation or not is up for
debate, and if there is significant preference to one implementation
(forward) over another (redirect), that the change should be made.  But
that preference is not the same as a specification requirement.

>And as for the welcome files being in a subdirectory, does that really
>actually happen???

Absolutely.  That happens frequently and the container implementation
must be able to support it.  Again, that's per SRV.9.10 which tomcat
implements.

>But please, please give us this option in the 4+
>versions of Tomcat.

>From the patch implementation point of view, keep in mind that the
default servlet may be invoked too late in the request processing
pipeline (e.g. after filters that redirect), so for the patch to consist
solely of modifications to the DefaultServlet may be insufficient.  At
least I think so -- I may be wrong on this point.  In tomcat 5.x, this
will be a part of the mapper, which of course is invoked prior to any
client servlets.  The patch I've seen contributed relies on an
init-param to the DefaultServlet, and will probably work for most
configurations, but we need to be careful to cover all possible cases,
including the aforementioned filter possibility.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.