From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 10:16 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: Shutdown Status in Bootstrap/Catalina

I was thinking strictly of only if there were server threads/processes
up. Nothing to do with the state of the contents of those processes
(webapps), just a straight boolean presence/absence of processes. In
this sense it would do the following

If server process/threads exist - return true
If server process/threads do not exist - return false

This would be just enough granularity to make decent decisions about
when to call start in a restart (stop, wait till status==false, and
start) command.

-Mark

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,
What would you suggest as the possible outputs from the status

command?

Personally, every time I've tried something like this I've run into
granularity problems. Is the status "ok" when there is a server
process, when the server manager webapp is available, or when user
webapps are all available, or some subset thereof? If the server is

not

running, how will you get a status back? Etc etc.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics