Thanks for clarifying that Costin. Just wanted to make sure. :-)

Costin Manolache wrote:
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

I haven't looked at or played with the new JMX featuers.  But I do have
some thoughts on names and scopes.  We need to ensure that there is a
unique naming mechanism.

That's the intention of the change.

A single monitoring tool may be used to monitor multiple instances of
Tomcat.  I plan on doing that some time in the future.  Each instance
of Tomcat running needs to have a unique name.

Well - I'm already working on the "JMX proxy" ( similar with the proxy for
mod_jk2 mbeans ). And /admin and any other tool will manage clusters ( or
multiple instances ) just like they manage a single instance.

For example, with a bit of cleanup, /admin could display a select box with
all the domains - and administer any tomcat instance ( assuming some setup
is done to proxy the JMX domains )

An essential piece is indeed the "unique name" - and in JMX terms that will
be the domain ( and will also be used as jvmRoute ).

The host name can not be used in lieu of the Engine name.  I configure
two Engine's which have the same host name.  One for normal http, one for
https.

Host name has nothing to do with this.

The JMX domain corresponds to one Engine. An Engine can contain multiple
hosts, and you can have multiple engines ( in different JMX domains ) and multiple connectors.

The Engine name is the id of a tomcat instance ( even if you run multiple Engines in the same JVM - from the point of view of routing or admin, they
are different )

The scoping required to ensure unique names is
/Service/Engine/Host/Context.

There is a one-to-one mapping between Service and Engine, and Embeded tomcat
doesn't use Service ( Service is just a wrapper for 1 Engine + Connectors ).

So the naming will be:
 Engine -> Host -> Context