Remy Maucherat wrote:
Tomcat 5.0.x, like many other major Jakarta projects, depends on a lot of stuff from the Commons. Most of those are in a stable state, but a few are either in between two stable releases, or not yet released.

Here's the list of the components which will need to be released as stable before Tomcat 5.0 gets stable. I'm associating a proposed "owner" for the component, based on past interactions with the components.

- el: Core JSP 2.0 feature; this is a critical component, and needs to get released simultaneaously with Tomcat 5; I think a RM is needed for that component [Kin-Man, Jan, Craig ?]

- modeler: Basis for Tomcat 5 JMX features, with a lot of new impressively efficient functionality since release 1.0; again, a critical component [Costin (do you have enough time to continue being the RM of that component ?)]

- daemon: Home of Mladen's procrun, a very promising exe wrapper for Java programs on Windows; this also contains a Unix wrapper for Java programs; the Unix wrapper could be advertised as "the" recommended solution to run Tomcat on 80 on Unix, and included as source with Tomcat's binary d/l; this component is currently in the sandbox, and would need to be either moved ASAP to commons proper, or be migrated to j-t-c (if thought to be too Tomcat specific to exist in the commons); a RM will be needed [Mladen, Jean-Frederic]

The daemon moved from tomcat to common and now back to tomcat. That does not help to advertise the project.

- dbcp: There are some BZ issues related to DBCP, so if there's a new DBCP release (I've seen some Struts 1.1 related activity), we'll need to include it [Glenn]

- fileupload: Used by the HTML manager to upload the webapp to be deployed; 1.0 RC 1 is soon to be released, with an API breakage (deprecated method removal between beta releases (TM)); 1.0 is supposed to occur before Struts 1.1 [Glenn]

I think that's it for now.

About the daemon Unix wrapper: there was some proprietary interfaces defined in there. It was agreed some time ago to use reflection instead of these interfaces; looking at the native code, the interfaces are still being used. Could that be fixed ?

Sure.

Comments ?

Does someone has one example of code using reflection?

Remy