----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos Rodríguez Colino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 1:21 AM
Subject: decrease idle threads in the pool faster... (II)

> Hi everybody
>
> I have been searching previous mails about killing idle threads, and I
> found lots of them describing the same problem (lots of requests carry
> out new threads that never are released, so, in a long-term, max number
> of proccesses is reached and Tomcat stops). Some surprising answers were
> such as:
>
> "Yes, no attempt is being made at killing processing threads that
> were created. OTOH, they should be reused if some high load situation
> occurs
> again (no new threads will be created).
> Unless you're really short on OS resources, I don't see that being a
> huge
> problem.
>
> Remy"  (12/2001... about TC4.0.1)
>

> Do you keep thinking the same? It seems to be a serious problem from my
> point of view!! Burst of requests increase the number of threads used by
> Tomcat (I work nowadays with TC4.1.12), but I think they should be
> released later on. Must they grow until infinite????? Must I set
> maxProcessors to 100000000 for avoiding "Max number of processes
> reached"??? :-P A very complex system relies on Tomcat and a lot of
> servlets, so I need a solution.
>
> Some mails, like mine, proposed to dive in the code to change the
> management of idle threads and kill them. If there isn't any scheduled
> action about this problem, could anybody give me a hint about where to
> look in the code?

Well, the place to look is
j-t-c/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/net/PoolTcpEndpoint.java.  With my
experience, it works very well with the stand-alone connector.  On one very
old (and brain-dead) Linux system, I had to set a soTimeOut for the
Jk-Connector to get it to kill-off Threads (but this is really a work-around
to a problem with that Linux version).