Tim Funk wrote:
In the use case of a servlet or filter throwing an ServletException, StandardWrapperValve will log the exception to its logger.

If the error is an expected one (such as session timeout or browser compatibility check) and there is a configured error-page directive to handle the exception, StandardWrapperValve stills logs the message. This causes many useless stack traces in the logs for error handling that is already caught.

Does it make sense to remove the log() statement? The the job of logging the exception belongs to either ErrorReportValve(?) or the user defined error handler?

Just to be clear, this is only the log() in the catch (ServletException e) code that I wish to remove.

Or I can my developer rewrite his code to use error handling for "real" errors.

Advice?

It's a bit more complex than that. (ex: with the request dispatcher, which also logs everything)
Since this is an uncaught exception, I would log it, personally.

An IOException which occurs on a socket operation should now be ignored, however. That was the biggest offender.

Remy