Andy Chapman wrote:
Thanks Remy, I knew something as major as this would have surfaced and
been fixed eons ago. However there is something here.

After more brain-racking, a vital piece of the jigsaw has come to light.
The app was updated at a suspiciously similar time to when the problem
type thing. Is it possible that after the re-start duplicate ids for the
"persisted" and restored sessions are being created?

No (it's a being-hit-by-a-meteor thing). However, the old sessions will still be there, which possibly may not be handled correctly by your app.

Anyway, this kind of discussion should be posted on tomcat-user, there are no dev related issues at this point.

Remy