FYI :

--- Begin Message --- On 9 Oct 2003, at 08:37, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Leif,

No worries about time. You replied before I left for the road, and I won't
be posting this reply until at least 15 hours after your note.

The platform is Solaris. The application is Tomcat. The major "problem" is
that we get Out of Memory exceptions and Tomcat isn't automatically
restarted. Even when I shut Tomcat down, for some reason the supervise
program isn't restarting it.

I expect that Pier will want to have something to say about changing the
deployment, but your responsiveness is great. :-)

I suppose that when Tomcat is "down" as you say, it's because the acceptor thread on the HTTP server socket is dead because of the OutOfMemory exception. I've seen that happen before. Basically the JVM process stays up, but connections are not accepted....

So, supervise can't actually "see" that the process is in limbo, it just waits for death. Someone should change the acceptor thread code and do something like

try {
} catchc (OutOfMemoryException e) {
  e.printStackTrace();
  System.exit(99);