Remy Maucherat wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to make a small proposal to do property replacement. Included are changes that should be made in the digester, and that I'll post on commons-dev if I have approval.

- Add a get/setProperty to Container. This would allow a property inheritance across containers, similar to Tomcat 3.3 features as described by Bill.

- Add the two introspectionUtil replaceProperties methods to the digester, along with a way to set the array of PropertySource globally for a digester instance. The replaceProperties will be called automagically if the standard set properties rule is added to an element, and will check all attributes for possible property replacement.

This sounds like a good addition to Digester. I would prefer to also have replacement enabled by a boolean property on the Digester instance (default=false), so that we don't mess up people using Digester to parse things that happen to have "${ ... }" in the attribute values or element bodies.

- Additionally, we could add the "set all properties" rule to digester, which would attempt to call a setProperty method on an object to set properties which have no designated setter. I'm mixed on this: we need something like that for the Connector, but this is a very specific situation, and may be abused in the general case.

I'm dubious on this one as well, but will look at the details of what you'd propose.

- Note: The properties used will not be saved when using save-to-XML from the admin. If anyone has an idea on how to make it work, let me know ;-) (anyway, save-to-XML should probably be rewritten in a non hackish and flexible fashion, but this can wait)

Agree that this code is about as hackish as you can get, but at least it sorta worked :-).

Comments ?

Remy

Craig