Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:

The Embedded.main has been removed a long time ago (at the time of introducing JMX). As for the sh/bat, I did remove the option....2 days ago (just browse the list). The JMX approach is in my opinion a good alternative:

http://apache.crihan.fr/dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.12-beta/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12-embed.tar.gz

I don't have any problem to bring the option back if you dig and submit a patch that bring back the Embedded.main (a lot of things has changed so be sure we are not regressing)

That method was nothing more than an example anyway. It has no place in the distribution.
I believe the Embedde API itself is still backwards compatible.

Remy